Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thesis Checklist

Thesis Checklist


 

  • Does my thesis sentence attempt to answer (or explore) a challenging intellectual question?


 

  • Is the point I'm making one that would generate discussion and argument, or is it one that would leave people asking "So What?"

  • Is my thesis too vague? Too general? Should I focus on some more specific aspect of my topic?


 

  • Does my thesis indicate the direction of my argument? Does it suggest a structure for my paper?


 

  • Does my introductory paragraph define terms important to my thesis?


     


     

  • Is the language in my thesis vivid and clear?


 


 

Qualifiers: MORE PRECISE AND HONEST

Limit your claim; control the terms of the argument


 

Ex: Efforts to reduce drug use have failed.

v.

Most efforts in Texas to reduce marijuana use among high school students have failed.


 

 

Few

Rarely

Some

Sometimes

In some cases

Mainly

It is possible

It seems

It may be

More or less

Many

Routinely

Most

Often

Under these conditions

For the most part

One might argue

Perhaps

Possibly

If it were so

No comments: