Friday, January 08, 2010

Day 5

Lesson Plan Day 5

  1. Bonus Points--Tonight

Jan 8, 2010 (Friday) Women Artists: Where We Are Now, opening reception Larson Gallery, YVCC Hours 5:30 - 7:30pmMeet the artists and learn more about their work! 6:30 - Gallery walk-through and discussion with comments from artists FREE

  1. In Class Essay

    1. I'm trying to get a read on what I've got in class, where you're starting from.
    2. I'm trying to see who the stars are, too.
    3. Intro/Body/Conclusion
    4. Thesis/Topic Sentences
    5. Evidence/Support
    6. We will be revising this essay, shaping it and adding to it to be turned in more times. That means less/more pressure today.
    7. 30 points towards your Prewriting scores.
  2. Homework: Read TWIF: "While I Was Sleeping" for Monday
  3. Quiz over Names/Faces and While I Was Sleeping on Monday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

While I was reading "While I Was Sleeping" I came across an interesting example of how the world is becoming smaller not mentioned in the text. When I opened up the cover of the book and saw the picture of Thomas L. Friedman I could have sworn I recognized him from somewhere but the moment escaped me. While I was reading on page 38 I came across the following passage:

"In the fall of 2004, I accompanied the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Richard Myers, on a tour of hot spots in Iraq. We visited Baghdad..."

I had to take a break from reading and look at the picture again.

I was deployed to Iraq from November 2003 to April 2005 during which time I was stationed in Baghdad working as part of a security detail at the Al Faw palace located within the Baghdad International Airport (BIAP) complex. I was working this detail when General Myers visited. During the General's visit this interested looking fellow came up to me and asked me a few questions. When he was done asking questions we shook hands and he went on his way. I didn't think anything of it as it was the typical questions that many people ask soldiers. "What is it like to be here as a soldier? What do you do to fill your time? How much contact do you have with your family back home? Etc." Who would have guessed that six years and two tours later I would be reading an excerpt from his book about such a place in school at YVCC in Yakima, WA? It literally made me laugh! So the world is small after all!

Consuelo Hinojosa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Consuelo Hinojosa said...

When we first stared reading,"The World is Flat" I was bored out of my mind and had to it read over and over because I was just not into it, but now as we are done with the book, I can say that I have learned new things or have became more aware of the world. The chapters got more interesting after the first one.

LoReNa said...

The first day I was started reading "The World is Flat", my sister read the title and rolled her eyes. I have to admit, I too was dissapointed and not at all looking forward to reading it. Yet, after our first in class I was amazed at how much is going on in the world. I had no idea. This book has really opened my eyes to not only my community, but to others all over the world.