Thursday, January 08, 2009

Day 4

Lesson Plan Day 4

  1. Who still needs Class Matters?
  2. Homework: Finish Serving and complete the questions.
  3. No late work accepted, quizzes especially. No exceptions, but chances to dig out of the hole on the daily work. Not so much with essays.
  4. Useful links
  5. Essay options
    1. Appearance v Reality
      1. Why is there a gap in our perception in class differences?
      2. What makes it harder to determine a person's class?
    2. Living v. Minimum Wage Debate:
      1. Pros and Cons
      2. Living Wage Calculator
    3. YakVegas Rent
      1. Let's do the math
  6. If there's time- Find quotes that…
    1. Describe the living conditions
    2. Describe the boss(es)
    3. Describe the physical work/working conditions
    4. Describe the mental effort
    5. Describe the coworkers

An interesting footnote

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anybody think that poverty infringes on the moral fabric of a family? Take my own personal scenario. I am married but do not have children. Because I'm married the government counts my income as well as my wife's income toward financial aid for BOTH of us. If we were not married we would qualify for more financial aid as single individuals. Also if we had children we would qualify for more money.

scott said...

john poverty infringes on a persons entire life. so of course it will stretch the moral fabrics of family,

Jonathan said...

Since I live with my parents, there income counts for my financial aid need even though I pay my own tuition. So, I don't qualify, even though I don't make that much money on my own. I'm not complaining though, because I could be a lot worse off.

steve said...

That is an interesting argument John. In what way do you mean “infringes on the moral fabric”? I assume you mean that it can make people dishonest. For instance I have heard many times, especially from students, that “it doesn’t pay to work.” I have also often observed business owners using the company card for dinner with the family, in order to count it as a write off on their taxes.
-Matthew

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I guess as far as moral fabric goes it could be considered interpretive. Cheating in order to get a tax break probably fits that criteria.And to everyone else....hopefully I don't come off to bitchy there are people out there a lot worse off than I am.

Anonymous said...

I guess as far as moral fabric goes it could be considered interpretive. Cheating in order to get a tax break probably fits that criteria.And to everyone else....hopefully I don't come off to bitchy there are people out there a lot worse off than I am.