Tuesday, January 27, 2009

White House Website on Poverty

Among other things:

Transportation,
Housing,
Fatherhood,
Expand EITC,
Green Jobs,
Career Pathway Programs
and...$9.50/hr. min wage by 2011.
Here's the text:

Raise the Minimum Wage to $9.50 an Hour by 2011: Barack Obama and Joe Biden
believe that people who work full-time should not live in poverty. Even
though the minimum wage will rise to $7.25 an hour by 2009, the minimum
wage's real purchasing power will still be below what it was in 1968.
President Obama will further raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by
2011, index it to inflation and increase the Earned Income Tax Credit to
make sure that full-time workers can earn a living wage that allows them to
raise their families and pay for basic needs such as food, transportation,
and housing -- things so many people take for granted.

4 comments:

kayla said...

So how does everyone feel about the essays? I honestly am doubting myself now after hearing everyone else read their intro and conclusion. They were pretty good.

Dave said...

My confidence is high now that it is finished, but honestly I was close to stumped on the topic. I enjoyed picking out the point displacement on the rubric though, pretty neat idea.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think there were some pretty good essays. I ended up rewriting mine at the end after the rubric. The grading system scares me a little but I'm proud of my paper reguardless because I worked hard.

scott said...

im not sure if my counter arguement is strong enough. I am also worried that my intro / conclusion didnt match up. Mr. P was quite through most of it.